Call for Papers
Under the Auspices of H.E. the President of the Hellenic Republic, Mr. Prokopios Pavlopoulos
27th Annual Conference of the International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME)
June 25th – 28th, 2019
Athens University of Economics and Business
The Conference will consider the importance of maritime development, both from the theoretical and the practical perspective. Major issues of the conference include: Challenges to free international trade, to a sustainable supply of food and energy, securing jobs and economic prosperity, human health and aging populations; The efficient use of resources, given society’s requirement to seriously take into account environmental factors and the ensuing policy requirements; The changing technological requirements to accommodate the above, which have preoccupied discussions in the industry; The substantial changes, which have taken place at the way projects in the maritime industry are financed, the alternative sources of capital, the global financial markets and the discussion surrounding them will all be part of the conference.
The organization of an international conference with the proposed themes is of outmost significance in linking theory with practice and for innovative maritime research.
The conference welcomes contributions under the form of full papers and extended abstracts focusing – but not limited - on the following tentative topics.
- Brokerage, insurance, shipping management and other maritime related services
- Bulk Shipping
- Business Risk Management tools and policies in the maritime sector
- Cabotage restriction or liberalisation
- Coastal shipping and connectivity challenges between islands, with the Eastern Mediterranean region as a paradigm
- Connectivity challenges between islands with coastal shipping, with the Eastern Mediterranean region as a paradigm
- Cruise shipping industry and its link with the tourist industry and the national economy, particularly in the Mediterranean region
- Energy sources, oil, liquid natural gas, shale gas and bioenergy resources, and their effects on the maritime industry
- Impact of international trade and global developments in maritime trade and sustainability
- The role of the shipping industry for sustainable development of the world economy
- Shipping markets, Bunkering
- Financial instruments for effective financing of large scale projects, including ports and other public infrastructure projects – public-private partnerships in the financing of such projects
- Financial tools for private projects in the shipping industry
- Finance issues in the maritime industry
- Flag and crew management
- Hinterland Strategies & Intermodal Transport
- Human resources and their management in shipping.
- Inland Waterways
- Intermodal Transport
- International shipping policies and regulations
- International trade and the maritime industry
- Logistics issues and their link with ports, the development of the new mega-ships and their impact on operations and economics
- Maritime accidents
- Maritime Business Strategy
- Maritime clusters
- Maritime education and training
- Maritime Policy
- Maritime rules and regulations
- Maritime Safety & Security
- Maritime Small and Medium Business
- Multi-modal transportation
- Operation research methods for shipping and terminals
- Optimum ship-size
- Pollution stemming from maritime activities and environmental issues
- Ports and port economics
- Policy issues in the maritime industry
- The port of Piraeus as a developing hub port, the challenges it faces as an entry port of Asian traffic to Europe and particularly to North European markets. Its importance in the local economy
- Shipyard activity and repairs and maintenance – cost competitiveness and quality
- Technical developments in maritime transport
Contributions on research key topics of the shipping industry related to ‘local’ European, Mediterranean but also Global issues, are appreciated.
Papers submitted for the full review track of the IAME 2019 Conference are eligible, if accepted, for publication in the conference associated journals and special issues. Please note that each journal has different requirements for publication, so in some cases further edits or a new (double-blind) review process will have to be completed before publication.