Actions of the Statistics Department
of the Athens University of Economics and Business
A few words about the department
The Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) was founded in 1920 under the name of Athens School of Commercial Studies. It is the third oldest University in the country and the oldest one in the fields of Economics and Business. The scientific fields of Informatics and Statistics were added a few years later. It was renamed in 1926 to the Athens School of Economics and Business. In 1984, the University was divided into 3 departments, the Economics department, the department of Business Administration and the Statistics and Informatics department. In 1978 the University puts in operation the first Master's program in Greece, the MSc in Economics and another MSc Program, in Business Administration was launched in 1985.
The Statistics Department of the Athens University of Economics and Business was founded in 1989 and is historically the first, and still remains the only, exclusively Statistics department in any Greek University. It has outstanding research performance and distinctions, while its graduates (both B.SC., M.Sc. and PhD graduates) staff some of the best Universities in England, Europe and the US, as well as some companies (including Biostatistics, such as IQVIA, Astra Zeneca, etc).
The School of Information Sciences and Technology of the Athens University of Economics and Business, was founded following the most recent science trends in the best US and Europe Universities, and the Statistics and Informatics Department are included in it. The School brings these two departments together to promote their interaction and synergy in order to offer the best possible benefits to its students, and the most dynamic research environment possible, in the fields of contemporary Statistical Science, Data Science and in Data Analytics.
In addition to the undergraduate program and the research activity, the Department runs three postgraduate programs in: Statistics, Applied Statistics and Risk Management, and it actively participates in the interdepartmental postgraduate program of the M.Sc. in Data Science (together with the Informatics Department).
The Department of Statistics has 24 faculty members, of which at least 7 are active in the field of Biostatistics. The department also employs about 20 PhD candidates in 3 research labs and about 50 postgraduate students are conducting their thesis, a significant number of which is in the field of Biostatistics.
The Departments Activities
The Department of Statistics has developed a multidimensional activity in fields not common in Greek universities.
Following, we mention in short some of these activities:
- Research Seminars (every two weeks)
- Business Seminars (about once a month), presented by some of the Departments graduates.
- Short courses by distinguished international scientists (H. Massame, Stefan Kesenne, G. Streftaris, J. Kornak, Alan Agresti)
- Scholarships and Reward Program (Performance awards for undergraduate students, Teaching awards for PhD Candidates and temporary teaching personnel, PhD Scholarship for the best M.Sc. Student of the Department).
- YouTube Channel.
- Internships (IQVIA)
- Workshops and Conferences (During the 2020-21 academic year alone, we organized 4 relative events: AUEB Sports Analytics Workshop, Stochastic Models in earthquake studies, Mathematics of the Pandemic, Risk Finance and Stochastics - RFS-2021)
- Memoranda of cooperation with the Hellenic Statistical Authority and ImedD
- Internships (IQVIA, ΕΛΒΑΛ, FSI, FSF-H)
- Thesis in cooperation with companies and organizations(ΕΛΣΤΑΤ, ImedD, AstraZeneca, IQVIA, ΕΛΒΑΛ, FSI, FSF-H)
- Double Degree with the Pavia University (in a postgraduate level)
- In the past, we have run for 3 years (in collaboration with students) the STAT-WARS game with a group of students called STArT Thinking
- We run the GRSTATS blog, and the corresponding facebook page, for information to the Statistical community (https://grstats.forumotion.net/)
- Participation in the HERMES University Network for cooperation in international Postgraduate Programs (joint, dual degrees) and joint PhD research programs.
Activities aimed specifically to first year students
- Corroborative actions for the freshmen students
- Department Presentation in the beginning of their studies
- Microsoft excel seminar (6 weeks x 2 hours)
- Statistics Seminar with lectures on the applications of Statistics in various scientific fields
Statistics Laboratories specialized in Biostatistics
In order to support the operation of both the undergraduate and the postgraduate programs of the Statistics Department, there are 3 research labs and 1 educating lab operating. The research labs are of a total capacity of 57 pcs and the educational lab has a capacity of 51 pc’s. In the labs, apart from the Department’s Faculty, the PhD candidates, the post doc researchers and the collaborative researchers can work and conduct their research under the faculty member’s supervision.
Educational Lab of the Statistics Department:
- Laboratory of Applied Statistics, Probability and Data Analysis. The lab is located at the 3rd floor of the Antoniadou wing (tel. 210-82013162). The lab is used by undergraduate students and the Department's faculty. It also accommodates postgraduate and PhD students. The lab operates Monday to Friday, from 9:00am to 20:30pm. The laboratories equipment include 2 servers SUN workstations, 1 DELL server with a local network consisting of 40 PC’s, 1 printer, 1 scanner and 1 overhead projector. In a separate area of the lab, there are 10 workstations for the PhD candidates (a total of 50 POC’s), while the department’s library is expected to operate soon.
Research Labs of the Statistics Department:
- Laboratory of Statistical Methodology. It is located at the 2nd floor on Evelpdion 47 str. Postgraduate, PhD students and the departments’ faculty work in this lab. 6 faculty members and one ETEP (Lab assistant) belong to this lab. There is one central PC and a local network of 27 PC’s with windows OS and Internet connection, 1 PC for the teacher, 4 additional workstations and 1 server (a total of 32 PC’s), one interactive table, 4 projectors and 4 laptops. The lab Director is Professor Ioannis Ntzoufras.
- Computational and Bayesian Statistical Laboratory. The lab is staffed by 5 faculty members and is located on the second floor of the Troias building in the room 208 (co housed with the Stochastic Modelling and Applications Laboratory). There are 29 PC’s. The labs director is Professor Dimitris Karlis.
- Stochastic Modelling and Applications Laboratory:. The lab is located at the 2nd floor of the Troias building. In the lab there are 28 pc's, 1 server, 1 projector and 1 printer. It serves research and educational needs in the cognitive subject “Stochastic Procedures – Stochastic Analysis – Applied Probability – Stochastic Models” and more specifically, in using advanced theoretical and computational methods in constructing and comprehending stochastic models to describe complex phenomena in contemporary technologies and finance.