Professional program in ESG, SDGs and Sustainable Finance, from the Athens University of Economics and Business, in collaboration with PwC Greece, under the auspices of the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN)
It brings along the scientific eminence of academic staff of the Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB), the business experience and know-how of the leading consulting company in Greece with a robust and multifaceted record focusing on Sustainable Development, PwC Greece, as well as the world-wide leading academic network of Alliance of Excellence for Research and Innovation on Aephoria (AE4RIA) and ReSEES Laboratory at AUEB, and the largest international university network (approximately 1800 university institutions worldwide) working on Sustainable development solution under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General, the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN).
The dynamic cooperation of the Vocational Training and Lifelong Learning Center of AUEB with the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN) and the AUEB Research laboratory on Socio-Economic and Environmental Sustainability (ReSEES) and the Alliance of Excellence for Research and Innovation on Aephoria (AE4RIA), coupled with the support from PwC Greece, provides the basic theoretic and applied background, as well as decision making tools, to enable decision makers to respond to the swathe of sustainability-related regulations and standards that the business and financial community must comply with.
Governments, regulators and standards setters around the world have reacted to the increased urgency for business and finance to tackle climate change, biodiversity collapse and general unsustainable growth practices, by introducing a numerous regulations and standards that the business community must comply with. Mandatory reporting creates structure and detail around what companies must report however, the current flux in the market is leaving many practitioners with a set of new challenges in creating coherent and consistent reporting to fit the needs of their stakeholders.
The course provides all the necessary knowledge and tools for the holistic understanding of the context of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the incorporation of the Environmental, Social and Governance criteria (ESG) and Sustainable Finance principles in daily business conduct.
The course is directed by Phoebe Koundouri, Professor at the Athens University of Economics and Business, faculty of Economic Studies, director of the AUEB Research laboratory on Socio-Economic and Environmental Sustainability (ReSEES) and Professor at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). Professor Koundouri is also the scientific director of the Sustainable Development Unit at the "Athena" Research Centre, President of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE). She is the chair of the SDSN Global Climate Hub and co-chair of SDSN Europe and SDSN Greece and a member of the Nomination Committee for the Nobel Prize in Economics, fellow and trustee of the World Academy of Arts and Science. She has a broad global experience in consulting governments, financial institutions, and private enterprises regarding their transition to sustainability.
The course is taught by internationally renowned professors and leading professionals, affiliated with the Athens University of Economics and Business, the Alliance of Excellence on Research and Innovation for Aephoria (AE4RIA), as well as PwC.
The course is addressed to:
- Executives of the Banking, financial and insurance sectors
- Government and non-Governmental organizations and financial market regulators.
- Executives of special branches of the private and public sectors (such as Energy, Shipping and Industrial Sectors).
- Professionals (Lawyers, auditors, consultants, marketing and human resources professionals) working in the financial sector and want to further understand the correspondence between sustainability
The course offers the opportunity to the students to engage in applied sustainability projects led by AE4RIA, one of the leading Research and Innovation Alliances on Sustainability Transition in the world.
Students that excel in the program, will consist of potential candidates for collaboration in AE4RIA’s research institutions, as well as of potential candidates for entry level positions in the field of sustainable development at PwC.
Course Implementation – Methods and Duration
START 4 March 2024
END 12 April 2024
The program will take place through bi-weekly lectures with physical presence as well as with the use of synchronous distance learning methods.
The Seminar has a total duration of 36 training hours, spanning 6 weeks, and Certificate offers 7 ECTS units.
Days: Mondays and Tuesdays, 18.00 - 21.00
Program Objectives and Learning Outcomes
The program provides participants with:
- An understanding of the basic concepts and models of sustainable development as well as its material importance for the environment, the economy and industry through a holistic approach.
- Specific technical knowledge and tools pertaining to each of the pillars of sustainable development.
- Comprehend the EU taxonomy for the transition to sustainability and its level of integration to the Greek System.
- An understanding and tools for critical assessment of the proposed climate policies at the European and global level in conjunction with the broader developmental goals and the constraints arising from economic, social, and political variables.
- Assimilation of the most up-to-date tools required by policymaking in the realm of sustainable development for private and public stakeholders, as well as the synergies and conflicts manifesting in the policy implementation process.
- Familiarization with the most recent sustainable models for governance and decision making, which foster the capabilities for attracting funds for the implementation of the European Green Deal and, more broadly, the relevant tools for the transition to sustainability in the Water, Energy, Food, Shipping, , circular economy and other key economic sectors.
Total fees for this course are 1500 € per participant.
Discount Policy (Required documents)
A discount policy of 20% is applied for university students, unemployed, parents of large families, pensioners with family income below the poverty line, people with disabilities or chronic serious conditions and secondary education teachers.
Group registrations (people from the same company/organization) discounts will be considered on a case-by-case basis.