UN SDSN GREECE
The UN SDSN set up by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in 2012, promotes practical problem solving for sustainable development, and the implementation of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), adopted in 2015 by the United Nations.
The Greek SDSN is hosted by Political Economy of Sustainable Development Lab (PESD), National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the International Centre for Research on the Environment and the Economy (ICRE8).
Chairs: Prof. Phoebe Koundouri & Prof. Andreas Papandreou
1. UN SDSN Senior Working Group on European Green Deal
This group will support the implementation of the European Green Deal (EGD) and facilitate participation of national stakeholders and local experts through SDSN’s European networks to advise and provide support to the European Commission.
Objectives of the Group:
- Identify and promote pathways to decarbonization within and across EU Member States.
- Identify and promote adaptation pathways within and across EU Member States.
- Provide strategic recommendations and mobilize experts for the ongoing implementation of the European Green Deal through SDSN networks.
- Mobilize experts to “rethink policies for clean energy supply and climate adaptation projects, across the economy, industry, production and consumption, large-scale infrastructure, transport, food and agriculture, construction, taxation and social benefits”.
- Mobilize stakeholders in partnership with the SDSN European networks to guarantee local engagement and support for these policies.
Chairs: Prof. Phoebe Koundouri and Prof. Jeffrey Sachs
2. UN SDSN Global Rountable for Sustainable Shipping and Ports
The Global Roundtable for Sustainable Shipping aims to bring together shipowners, shipbuilders, technology developers and researchers, ports and policy makers from across the globe., in order to develop zero-emissions shipping innovations, having as a target net-zero emissions by 2050.
3. UN SDNS Euro-Asian Initiative for Sustainable Blue Growth in the 4-seas: MED, Black, Caspian, Aral Sea
As a response to the climate crisis and its effect on Marine Ecosystems and Coastal Populations, the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN) proposes a Euro-Asian Initiative to accelerate science-driven blue growth and the implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (Agenda 2030) in the following 4-seas: the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the Caspian and Aral. Our approach focuses primarily on Goal 14 "Life below water", Goal 6 "Clean water and sanitation", 13 "Climate action" and 15 "Life on land", but ultimately on all other SDGs as well.
4. UN SDSN Lancet Commission on COVID-19
Prof. Phoebe Koundouri is member of Lancet Commission on COVID-19 , which is directed by UN SDSN and Columbia Sustainable Development Institute. The Commission aims to engage global leaders to promote best practices in the control of pandemic, the social protection of basic needs, and the recovery of the global economy.
Visit our website http://unsdsn.gr/