G-STIC Conference in Rio de Janeiro | The Global Sustainable Technology & Innovation Community
The 6th G-STIC Conference (Global Science Technology Innovation Community) took place in Rio de Janeiro during 13 – 15 February 2023 and it was hosted jointly by VITO and 7 other not-for-profit independent technology research institutes: FIOCRUZ, CSIR, GIST, NACETEM, TERI and UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network
On the 13th of February, Prof. Koundouri participated as a speaker at the High-Level Plenary Session: Toward an Equitable and Sustainable Future at the Global Sustainable Technology and Innovation Community Conference G-STIC Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil along with Pedro Conceição, (United Nations Development Programme, Director Human Development Report Office), H.R.H. Princess Esmeralda of Belgium (Journalist, author and environmental activist), and moderated by Francesca Vanthielen, (Television Actress and Host, Radio Presenter and Economist.
During the session keynote speeches were also given by:
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, World Health Organization (WHO), Director general
- Nísia Trindade Lima, Minister of Health, Brazil
- Qu Dongyu, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Director-General
- Amb. Macharia Kamau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Permanent Representative to the UN, CBS, Former Principal Secretary
- Amandeep Singh Gill, United Nations, Secretary-General’s Envoy on Technology
The G-STIC Rio High-Level Plenary Session examined opportunities to use STI to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The speakers recommended public policies for harnessing STI to reach a more resilient, sustainable, inclusive, and nature-positive future. The discussion was focused on reimagining the future of science and innovation as a democratic, open, and public enterprise that can tackle multiple global challenges in parallel with the SDGs.
The speech of Prof. Koundouri at the High-level plenary session: “Toward an equitable and sustainable future” at G-STIC conference focused on the mission and work of the SDSN Global Climate Hub on developing integrated and holistic, science-driven pathways for climate neutrality and resilience across the world. The G-STIC global conference in Rio de Janeiro marks the beginning of SDSN Climate Hub collaboration with Latin America countries.
On the same day, Prof. Koundouri gave a speech at the Health Special session: Challenges and Opportunities in planetary health at G-STIC Conference where she spoke about “Science-driven Sustainability Transition: The only way forward”, and presented the work of the SDSN Global Climate Hub and especially the work of the Climate and Health Unit whose mission is to develop a Single summary measure of economic burden of climate change for selected physical and mental conditions.
- Maria Neira, WHO headquarters,Assistant Director-General a.i., Division of UHC/Healthier Populations
- Daniel Buss, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Unit Chief Climate Change and Environmental Determinants of Health (CDE-CE)
- Andrew Haines, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Professor of Environmental Change and Public Health
- Phoebe Koundouri, Athens University of Economics and Business and Technical University of Denmark, Professor in Economics
- Maurício Barreto, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Senior Researcher
- Vital Ribeiro, Healthy Hospitals Project, President of the Board
Chaired by: Luiz Augusto Galvão, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Senior Researcher
Prof Koundouri, together with other authorities and high-level representatives of governmental and multilateral institutions, was invited at the High-Level Dialogue (VIP) Communiqué on our commitment to accelerate the 2030 Agenda and the 17 SDG’s, to be delivered to the UN which took place at the Palacio Da Cidade
On Tuesday, 14th of February Prof. Phoebe Koundouri gave a speech on “SDSN Global Climate Hub: Innovation Acceleration towards Climate Neutrality and Resilience” at the Climate Plenary session: “Integrated innovative technologies and supporting financing mechanisms to prevent, adapt and manage climate change impacts” at G-STIC Conference. A great panel discussion with Mr. Ambrosio Yobanolo del Real, Chair, UNFCCC TEC, Nathalie Flores, Sustainability Coordinator, British Chamber of Commerce of the Dominican Republic – Expert in Environmental Governance, Climate Change Policy and Diplomacy, and Mr. Harikumar Gadde, Senior Climate Change Specialist, World Bank , moderated by Leen Govaerts, VITO.
During her speech, Prof. Koundouri focused on our two accelerators: The MENA Maritime ClimAccelerator and the Climate Innovation Window, developed by our (H2020) BRIGAID project.
Learn more about the Conference here.