The new InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) leadership
Prof. Phoebe Koundouri, in her capacity as a Member of the Board of Trustees of the World Academy of Arts and Sciences, was elected as a member of the IAP’s Development and Programme Committees on Academy Capacity Building.
The InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) provides a collective, supportive mechanism for academies to further strengthen their crucial roles as providers of evidence-based policy and advice.
In 2021, following a two-year consultative process beginning with the IAP General Assembly in Songdo, Korea, IAP’s member academies endorsed a new set of Statutes that will govern the organization for the foreseeable future.
Under the new Statutes, the governance structure has been streamlined to maximize the effectiveness, impact and inclusiveness of IAP. Following an online election in summer 2022, IAP member academies elected the 2022-2024 Governance.
Three Development and Programme Committees develop and fundraise for IAP projects under IAP’s three strategic aims: 1) Academy Capacity Building; 2) Policy Advice, and 3) Communication, Education and Outreach. The primary role of the Development and Programme Committees is to assist the co-chairs in securing funding for IAP programmes and activities. They also assist the co-chairs to review IAP activities to assure they are in accordance with the current Strategic Plan and ensure Regional Network activities are coordinated with IAP’s overall mission and objectives; and propose new programmes and activities to the Advisory Committee.
IAP Development and Programme Committee on Academy Capacity Building:
- Allia Khedidja, Algerian Academy of Science and Technology
- Barjaba Kosta, Academy of Sciences of Albania
- Cohen Henry, Nacional de Medicina de Uruguay
- Debre Patrice, French National Academy of Medicine
- Guerra Ranieri, Accademia Nazionale di Medicina, Italy
- Hidalgo Cecilia, Chilean Academy of Sciences
- Karunaweera Nadira, National Academy of Sciences, Sri Lanka
- Korsten Lisa, African Academy of Sciences
- Koundouri Phoebe, World Academy of Art and Sciences
- Qadri Firdausi, Bangladesh Academy of Sciences
- Yusoff Khatijah Mohd, Academy of Sciences Malaysia
- Silveyra Patricia, National Academy of Sciences, USA
- Couacy-Hymann Emmanuel, Academy of Sciences, Arts, Cultures of Africa and African Diasporas (ASCAD), Côte d’Ivoire