Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI) Special Event
Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI) Special Event "Driving collective action for the SDGs: The role of further education
On 7/7/21 Prof. Koundouri gave a speech at the Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI) Special Event "Driving collective action for the SDGs: The role of further education.
The Higher Education Sustainability (HESI) Special Event takes place annually during the High Level Political Forum (HLPF) in order to highlight the critical role of higher education in achieving sustainable development by forming the current and future generation of leaders, driving the research and policy agenda for both the public and private sectors, as well as facilitating multi-stakeholder collaboration at the local and global level. This forum is also meant to bring together key actors in the space to highlight the challenges, the opportunities and lessons learned to advance the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This year’s HLPF will focus on “Sustainable and resilient recovery from COVID-19 pandemic that promotes the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development: building and inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery of sustainable development”.
Session 1: Where are we now: Building a sustainable and resilient recovery from COVID-19 pandemic: Taking stock of the challenges, opportunities and lessons learned for Higher Education to steer the change.
Conversation with insights on the challenges, opportunities and lessons learned of Higher Education to contribute to a sustainable and resilient recovery from COVID-19 pandemic, and promotes economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development:
- Moderator: Sam Barratt, Chief of Youth, Education and Advocacy UNEP
- Stefania Giannini, Assistant Director-General for Education, UNESCO
- Sophia Eriksson Waterschoot, Director for Youth, Education and Erasmus+, DG Education and Culture, European Commission
- Prof. Phoebe Kounduri, Athens University of Economics and Business, Chair of the Taskforce “Green Recovery” COVID-19 Lancet Commission
- Kelo Uchendu, MOCK COP26 Campaign Coordinator & Engineer
- Moderator: Summarising all these insights into 4-5 key lessons