Why choose this Program
"Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives."
Andy Rooney (1919 - 2011), American writer
What makes the Teacher Education Program of AUEB stand out?
- It is the first and only Teacher Education Program of its kind at undergraduate level in Higher Education Institutions in Greece without tuition fees, which lasts two semesters and is part of the 7th and 8th semester of undergraduate studies. It is certified by the Institute of Educational Policy and by the Ministry of Education (MD 39460 / C2 / 21-3-2013, Government Gazette B '689 / 26-3-2013) providing candidates with recognized pedagogical and didactic competence for the Supreme Council for Civil Personnel Selection (ASEP) and the possibility of teaching in public schools.
- It is an anthropocentric program that introduces Humanitarian Studies into the students’ studies. It promotes the humanitarian approach as a basis for creative education, with an interdisciplinary approach that is necessary in the modern era of over-specialization. Through the Program the student evolves and improves through an anthropocentric approach.
- It is a program with a strong component of Information Technology and new technologies, as necessary tools in the educational process. Students are getting familiar with modern educational support environments.
- Significant benefits for each student include socialization, improved self-esteem and self-image as well as self-confidence. These are the benefits for any student who will decide to join this interdisciplinary "family". Friends and partners are some of the potential benefits that students will gain both through the Program inside AUEB and through the Practicum in public schools. The Professors of the Program are appointed mentors with pedagogical orientation. This means that they are close to the student-teachers to listen to any need or problem that might occur and to guide and encourage the student through a personalized approach.
- Basic orientation is the systematic cultivation of team spirit and solidarity, through creative and experiential activities. Students develop themselves the new knowledge in Pedagogical Science in Economics and Informatics through collaborating on various projects, which they are invited to participate in and afterwards present.
- Given our evolving era of multidimensional demands and challenges, the Teacher Education Program of AUEB has been structured upon innovations that meet the requirements of the complex environment. In this context, and after studying the trends of the era, the learning process turns from theory and mechanistic learning into experiential learning and discovery learning. Students gain experience through specially designed workshops, teaching in real-world classrooms in public schools of Secondary Education with which AUEB collaborates. This experience enables students to realize their strengths and translate theory into practice by developing emotional intelligence skills. In addition, the experience of teaching in a real classroom helps the students enhance their confidence.
- Finally, those who want to get to know this field and who do not necessarily want to take up education professionally or do not consider it as the goal of their lives, have nothing to lose through their participation in the Program. Far from it; the activities of the Program are based on the development of important skills for any individual both as a complete personality and as a professional entity. Time and anxiety management, working on projects and managing them, teamwork, public speaking, leadership skills and working under pressure are just some of the skills that every employer is looking for in a CV and which can be developed by each student who will decide to join the Program.