- International Rankings
Rankings of AUEB
The Athens University of Economics and Business has long been established in the academic community, and among students and the society, as a top Greek University in the scientific disciplines which it encompasses. At the international level, the unwavering strategic goal of the University is to actively participate in the international academic environment, to develop prestigious international collaborations, and overall to enhance its international impact and recognition through excellence in research and education. In keeping with these values, AUEB participates in numerous international organizations and international rankings of institutions of higher education, in order to improve the services it provides and to further strengthen its international standing and visibility.
Accreditations and Rankings of Graduate Programs
MSc in Business Analytics was ranked in the 101+ place worldwide in the "QS Masters in Business Analytics Rankings" category, according to the QS Global MBA & Business Masters Rankings for 2024.
MSc in Business Analytics was ranked in the 5th place worldwide in the scientific field of "Business Intelligence & Strategy", according to the authoritative international ranking body Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2022/2023.
MSc in Management Science and Technology was ranked 16th in the field of "E-Business and Digital Marketing in Western Europe", according to the international ranking body Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2022/2023.
The 7th place in the international ranking list Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2022/2023 won the MBA International program in the category "MBA Part Time". In the same ranking list, it ranked 11th in the "International Management in Western Europe" category for the geographical area of Western Europe.
The Interdepartmental Postgraduate Program in Human Resource Management took the 8th place in the annual ranking of the Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2022/2023, in the field "Human Resources Management in Western Europe", among the corresponding Postgraduate Programs in Western Europe.
MSc in Public Policy and Management ranked 7th in Europe according to the international ranking body Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2022/2023 in the field of "Public Administration / Management".
MBA International was accredited in 2021 for the fifth consecutive time by the International Association of MBAs (AMBA). AMBA certifies MBA, DBA and MBM programs worldwide, taking into account specific criteria, in order to provide the programs that certify international credibility. It is worth noting that this certification is enjoyed by only 2% of the Schools of Management in over 75 countries worldwide.
The Executive MBA program was re-accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), the international independent authority for postgraduate training in business administration. After an extensive evaluation, the Executive MBA received the certification as confirmation that the teaching, the curriculum, the quality of the teaching and research staff and the other services offered to the students of the program meet the highest criteria set by the AMBA. The assessment also took into account the views of students, graduates and employers.
The Msc in Human Resource Management was evaluated by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) - the largest professional body in Human Resource Management worldwide - and received recognition that the content of the program and courses which is offered, is fully harmonized with the guidelines of the institution for education in HRM (SHRM's HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates).
MSc in Management Science and Technology was ranked 17th in the field of "E-Business and Digital Marketing in Western Europe", according to the international ranking body Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2021.
MSc in Business Analytics was ranked in the 12th place worldwide in the scientific field of Business Intelligence & Strategy", according to the authoritative international ranking body Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2021. In addition, according to the same body, the part-time program ranked 14th in Western Europe in the field of "Data Analytics". It was also ranked 78th in the world according to the annual ranking of Universities by the international rating agency Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
The Interdepartmental Postgraduate Program in Human Resource Management took the 8th place in the annual ranking of the Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2021, in the field "Human Resources Management in Western Europe", among the corresponding Postgraduate Programs in Western Europe.
The 8th place in the international ranking list Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking for 2021 won the MBA International program in the category "MBA Part Time". In the same ranking list, it ranked 12th in the "International Management in Western Europe" category for the geographical area of Western Europe. Also, it was was ranked between 111-120 worldwide, and 36th in Europe, according to the annual ranking of Universities by the international rating agency Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
MA in Heritage Management ranked 6th in the world in the field of Cultural Management / Creative Industries Management according to the international ranking body Eduniversal Masters Ranking for 2021.
MSc in Public Policy and Management ranked 8th in Europe according to the international ranking body Eduniversal Masters Ranking for 2021 in the field of Public Administration / Management.
The 51th place in the world won the MSc in Business Analytics of the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business, in the QS World University Rankings 2019, which refers to postgraduate programs in Business Analytics. Entries increased by up to 60% in 2019, with the postgraduate program of AUEB being the only participation by a Greek University where it competed with top Universities of America, the United Kingdom and other European, Asian and Australian countries.
11th in Western Europe in the scientific field "Human Resources Management" was awarded the MSc in Human Resource Management of the Athens University of Economics and Business, according to the Eduniversal 2018 international evaluation.
The Executive MBA ranks 30th among other Executive MBAs in Europe, according to the Eduniversal 2018 International Assessment.
MBA International has been certified for the fourth consecutive time by the International Association of MBAs (AMBA). AMBA certifies MBA, DBA and MBM programs worldwide, taking into account specific criteria to provide programs that certify international credibility. It is worth noting that this certification is only enjoyed by 2% of the Business Schools in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Faculty Distinctions
Faculty awards and distinctions
The important award "LEO (Lyons Electronic Office)", was awarded to the Honorary Doctorate of the Department, Professor Chrysanthi Avgerou, on December 11, 2023, in a special ceremony, in the context of the "Association of Information Systems ICIS 2023" conference, which took place in Hyderabad, India. Mrs. Chrysanthi Avgerou is a Professor at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). The LEO Award was established in 1999 by the AIS Council and the Executive Committee of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS). The LEO award recognizes scientists with outstanding achievements and a global footprint in the field of information systems.
The Department's Professors Diomeies Spinellis and Christos Tarantilis are included in the list of the world's top (top 2%) scientists in their fields of study, for 2023, as published by Stanford University. The list is formed based on the publications of the specific scientists, which are most frequently cited by other authors worldwide based on standardized cross-citation indices.
Professor Diomidis Spinelis received the Ope\n Ecosystem Award 2023 at the Ope\n Conf IT conference, for the long-term and continuous promotion of the Greek Technical Ecosystem.
Professor Diomidis Spinelis was awarded a European patent for a method of securely storing confidential data on low-cost removable storage units, without requiring the installation and use of specialized software. The costs of the registration were subsidized by a program in which four non-profit institutions of the country participate, Bodosaki Foundation, Ioannis S. Latsis Non-profit Foundation, A.G. Leventis and Onassis Foundation with the aim of promoting the research and business sector of Greece. The exploitation of the diploma has been undertaken by the newly established Technology Transfer Office of AUEB.
Professor Diomidis Spinellis was declared a member of the ACM Distinguished Speakers program. According to ACM, renowned international thought leaders participating in the program deliver speeches on the most important contemporary topics in computing. Speakers come from a wide range of companies and universities, including IBM, Microsoft, Raytheon, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Siemens Information Systems, Stanford University, Carnegie Mellon, University of British Columbia, Georgia Tech, UCLA, McGill University, and Tsinghua University.
Professor Diomidis Spinellis received the "Distinguished Reviewer Award" as a member of the program committee in the main stream (technical track) of the scientific conference "2023 International Conference on Software Engineering" (ICSE '23), which took place in Melbourne, on 14- May 20, 2023.
Professor Nancy Pouloudi was elected President (President Elect) in the Council of Association for Information Systems (AIS). The Association of Information Systems promotes knowledge and excellence in the practice and study of information systems. It is the leading professional association for individuals and organizations leading the research, teaching, practice and study of information systems worldwide. The "helm" of the International Union of Information Systems will be taken over for the first time by a Greek scientist, while it is worth noting that Professor Nancy Pouloudi is the 3rd female President since 1994, the year of the foundation of the Union. Professor Nancy Pouloudi was nominated by the competent committee for the nomination of AIS candidates and was elected after a vote by all members of the Union. Her term begins in September 2022, is three years, and during it she assumes the duties of President Elect, President, and Immediate Past President, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year respectively.
The important "Distinguished Contributor Recognition" as a charter member of the respective action (Chartered member Distinguished Contributor) by the internationally recognized scientific association IEEE Computer Society, was received by Mr. Diomidis Spinellis, Professor of Software Technology in the Department of Management and Administration Athens University of Economics and Business. The IEEE scientific association is the world's leading source of information, inspiration and collaboration for engineers. The IEEE enables members to network around the world, supports and empowers technology-advancing scientists, offering tools and resources at all stages of their careers, including international conferences, peer-reviewed publications, a powerful digital library, world-renowned standards and continuous learning opportunities. The IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Contribution Program was introduced in 2021 as part of the association's 75th anniversary. The program highlights the significant combined expertise and innovation of its members, while recognizing the voluntary contribution. Professor Diomidis Spinellis is the only Greek scientist to have received this distinction from the IEEE Computer Society.
The Hellenic Association for Energy Economics at the 6th Annual Forum, awarded the annual prize to Professor George Ioannou, CEO of EnexGroup for his "long-term contribution to the creation of the Greek Energy Market and the Money Group".
The Associate Professor of the Department of Management Science and Technology Manolis Kritikos, was elected as a member of the Board of the Hellenic Mathematical Society in the elections held on Sunday, June 27, 2021 and took the position of Vice President for the years 2021-2023. Also, Mr. Kritikos was appointed by the International Mathematical Olympiad IMO2021 commissioner (IMO Commissioner) for Greece, in the context of the international mathematics competition.
The "2020 AIS Technology Challenge" award was presented to Professor of the Department Nancy Pouloudi, by the International Association of Information Systems (AIS), during the closing ceremony of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2020) , held online on December 16, 2020. The award is given to individuals or organizations distinguished for their significant contribution, through the use of new technologies, to the development of the academic community with the field of Information Systems Internationally. For 2020, AIS recognized the contribution of Program Co-Chairs of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS) and Pacific-Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS), which were conducted online for the first time.
Manolis Kritikos, Associate Professor of the Department, has been elected General Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Mathematical Society of South Eastern Europe (MASSEE) for the the years 2020-2022. In addition to the Hellenic Mathematical Society, the Mathematical Society of Southeastern Europe includes the Mathematical Societies of Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Macedonia, Cyprus, Montenegro, Moldova, Romania, Serbia and Turkey.
The Professors of the Department Georgios Doukidis, Georgios Giaglis, Georgios Ioannou and the Associate Professor Damianos Chatziantoniou, are included in the list of the top academics in the field of data and analytics Leading Academic Data Leaders List of the CDO Magazine for the year 2021.
In the ranking with the top scientists of 2020 in Computer Science and Electronics published by Guide2Research is Professor Diomidis Spinellis (19th place in Greece). This is the sixth annual ranking for which more than 6,000 profiles from around the world were studied. The criteria for the ranking of scientists related to the scientific quality index (H-index from Google Scholar), citations, bibliographic reports of each scientist on the Internet, as well as their distinctions until 16 May 2020. In total the ranking includes 37 scientists from academic and research institutions of the country.
Assistant Professor Manolis Kritikos was awarded with the Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing by the ELSEVIER science publishing Company for his contribution to the quality of the Expert Systems With Applications Journal (impact factor 3.768). Also, he was awarded with certificates for his contribution as a reviewer by the Editors of the journals: European Journal of Operational Research, International Journal of Production Economics, Computers and Operations Research, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Transportation Research Part E. The ELSEVIER science publishing Company is one of the world's largest publishing Company, nearly 2,500 journals and 33,000 e-books annually. Among other, the ELSEVIER science publishing Company owns high-quality science journals in the field of Operations Research and Information Systems.
Assistant Professor Manolis Kritikos was unanimously re-elected General Secretary of the Mathematical Society of South-Eastern Europe (MASSEE). The member-societies of the Mathematical Society of South-Eastern Europe are: The Mathematical Society of Albania, The Mathematical Society of Bosnia and Herzegovina, The Union of Bulgarian Mathematicians, The Cyprus Mathematical Society, The Union of Mathematicians of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, The Hellenic (Greek) Mathematical Society, The Mathematical Society of Moldova, The Romanian Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Society of Serbia.
Associate Professor Nancy Pouloudi of the Department of Management Science and Technology of AUEB received the Sandra Slaughter Service Award of the Association for Information Systems (AIS). The award ceremony took place at the International Conference of Information Systems (ICIS 2016) in Dublin in December 2016. The Association for Information Systems is the premier professional association for individuals and organizations who lead the research, teaching, practice, and study of information systems worldwide (www.aisnet.org). The Sandra Slaughter Service Award recognizes longstanding members who have provided leadership and service within the Association, particularly through such activities as holding past Council positions, participating in the SIGs/chapters/colleges, strengthening the conferences, and participating in AIS-sponsored journals. The Sandra Slaughter Service Award was established in 2014 and granted for the first time in 2015. The award honors Sandra Slaughter, who served as Region 1 (North, South, and Central America) Representative on the AIS Council until her untimely death in 2014.
Professor Diomidis Spinellis had a petition to the Highly Cited Greek Scientists website http://www.highlycitedgreekscientists.org/ (October 2011). The database includes all scientific fields and includes 137 Greek scientists who have published as first authors at least one paper (article, book or other) that has received over 1000 references in the scientific literature. According to the site, this milestone is very difficult to achieve, even by excellent scientists.
The Associate Professor Christos Tarantilis is among the top ten researchers who have received the highest number of heterogeneities worldwide over the last 10 years in the scientific subject "Vehicle Routing," according to SCOPUS.
Professor Gregory Prastacos has been the recipient (1979) of the Edelman Award, the highest distinction awarded by the Institute of Operations Research and Management Science for successful practice of Management Science.
Professor Kostas Zografos has been a finalist in the same competition (2005), while for the same work he has been the recipient of the President's Medal from the UK OR Society (2005).
Professors Prastacos and Zografos were both honoured (2008) for exceptional achievements in Operations Research by INFORMS, the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science.
Professor Diomidis Spinellis has been the recipient of many awards, including the "Featured Reviewer" award by ACM Computing Reviews (2006), the best books awards for his books by Addison-Wesley (2004, 2006), the prize for "Open Source Projects" of Usenix Association with Compaq Research (2000), the Prize in Computer Science for "Excellence in Academic Achievement", by Addison-Wesley (1990), the Lifetime Achievement Award Usenix Association and UC-Berkeley (1993), etc.
Best paper/book awards
The paper entitled "A Design Theory for Energy and Carbon Management Systems in the Supply Chain", Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 23 (1), pp. 329-371 by Eleni Zampou, Ioannis Mourtos, Katerina Pramatari and Stefan Seidel was awarded the "Best Journal Paper in Green IS for 2022" Award from the AIS SIGGreen – Special Interest Group in Green IS. The research paper defines the scope of Energy and Carbon Management Systems in the supply chain context and develops information systems design theory, including key constructs and design principles. It also indicates that the design theory, if instantiated, supports energy and carbon measurement and environmentally aware decision-making and practice in supply chains.
The awards "Distinguished Paper" and "Best Artifact" were won by the graduate of the Department Stefanos Chaliasos and the PhD candidate Thodoris Sotiropoulos, at the top conference in the field of programming languages "43rd ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation" (PLDI 2022), held in San Diego (USA), June 13-17, 2022. The award was for the paper "Stefanos Chaliasos, Thodoris Sotiropoulos, Diomidis Spinellis, Arthur Gervais, Benjamin Livshits, and Dimitris Mitropoulos, Finding typing compiler bugs, in Proceedings of the 43rd ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, PLDI'22. ACM, June 2022", which was also attended by Professor Diomidis Spinellis (Department of DMST AUEB), Assistant Professor Arthur Gervais, (Imperial College), Associate Professor Benjamin Livshits (Imperial College) and Assistant Professor Dimitris Mitropoulos (Department of Business Administration of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens).
The paper "GHTorrent: GitHub's data from a firehose" by academics Georgios Gousios, Associate Professor of Software Technology at Delft University of Technology and Doctor of the Department of Management Science and Technology and Diomidis Spinellis, Professor of Software Technology at the Department, was recognized with the most Influential Paper Award. According to the evaluation committee of the international scientific conference "Mining Software Repositories" (MSR), among the papers published at the conference ten years ago, this paper was the most influential in the field of software technology during the decade 2012-2022.
The publications of Professor Nancy Pouloudi received significant recognition from the Association for Information Systems – AIS, by the Special Interest Group (SIG) for the use of Grounded Theory Methodology (GTM). Specifically, the publication “Generative Mechanisms of Workarounds, Discontinuance and Reframing: A study of negative disconfirmation with consumerised IT”, by Eupraxia Zamani, PhD and Senior Lecturer at the University of Sheffield and Professor Nancy Pouloudi, in the Information Systems Journal, was shortlisted among 18 submissions for the “SIG GTM Best Paper” award in December 2021. Also, in the first 5 final candidates of the same category (SIG GTM Best Paper) was the publication in the Information Systems Frontiers Journal "Appropriating Information Technology Artefacts through Trial and Error: The Case of the Tablet" by Eupraxia Zamani, PhD and Senior Lecturer at the University of Sheffield, Nancy Pouloudi, Professor at the Department of Management Science and Technology, Georgios Giaglis, Professor at the Department of Digital Innovation and Director of the Institute for the Future of the University of Nicosia and Jonathan Wareham, Professor at ESADE Business School.
Article co-authored by the Associate Professor George Lekakos and Postdoctoral Fellow Maria Boura (in collaboration with Associate Professor Patrick Mikalef and Professor J. Krogstie of NTNU) in the British Journal of Management (4 in ABS list) entitled "Big data analytics capabilities and innovation: The mediating role of dynamic capabilities and moderating effect of the environment", published in January 2019, became the top 10% of most downloaded paper for the period 12 months after its publication.
The article "Use and impact of performance measurement results in R&D and NPD: An exploratory study, R&D Management, 34 (2): 191-219, 2004", by Professors Armelle Godener (Grenoble Ecole de Management, France) and Eric Soderquist, ranked ninth in the list of 23 most exemplary studies, developed by Goffin et al (2019), following a study of 818 Innovation Management tasks based on the case study methodology (case study research) and published between 1997 and 2016 in the top five scientific journals in the field. This ranking was the result of evaluation of scientific work, on 10 quality criteria of the methodological approach (research design, justification of the case study research, case selection, data collection methods, data analysis and validity and reliability examination).
Goffin, K., Åhlström, P., Bianchi, M., & Richtnér, A. (2019), Perspective: State‐of‐the‐Art: The Quality of Case Study Research in Innovation Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 36 (5), pp. 586-615.
The work of undergraduate student Zoe Kotti and Professor Diomidis Spinellis was awarded the "ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Award" at the conference "MSR '19: 16th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories", which took place in Montreal, 26 and May 27, 2019. The paper "Standing on Shoulders or Feet? The Usage of the MSR Data Papers" deals with the impact analysis of works that publish datasets for further empirical research. It is worth noting that the conference "Mining Software Repositories" belongs, according to the CORE ranking, to category A (excellent conference, and highly respected in a discipline area).
The paper of Professor Diomidis Spinellis: "A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution" was honored with "Best Data Showcase Award" at the "MSR15: Proceedings of the 12th Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories". The paper is about creating an open data repository that contains the development of the widespread Unix operating system. The repository can be used for empirical research in the field of software technology, information systems and software archeology.
The European Case Awards was awarded for the first time in a Greek Universities, to Prof. G. Doukidis and Associate Prof. K. Pramatari, of the Department of Management Science and Technology of the Athens University of Economics and Business, with a case study on Veropoulos company.
Best paper awards have been received by a number of faculty at various occasions, including Professors Spyros Lioukas, Professors Gregory Prastacos, George Ioannou and Chris Tarantilis jointly with graduate students (Chinese Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management Conference), Professor Diomidis Spinellis (SANE Conference), Professor George Ioannou (Microsoft Excellence in Teaching) and others.
Department faculty have also extensive activity in editorial positions of international journals.
Professor Nancy Pouloudi assumed the position of Senior Editor at the leading scientific journal European Journal of Information Systems. The journal is in its 33rd year and is ranked among the top 11 in the "CSS List of Premier Journals" compiled by the College of Senior Scholars of the Association for Information Systems and has an ABS rating of 4 and an Impact Factor of 9.5 (2022).
Professor of the Department Diomidis Spinellis, was elected Chairman of the Magazine Operations Committee of the IEEE Computer Society for the year 2021. As Chairman of the Committee he participates ex-officio in the Board of Governors of the organization (Board of Governors). The members of the committee are the editorial directors of the respective magazines.
Professor Adam Vrechopoulos is Associate Editor of "Electronic Markets - The International Journal on Networked Business", member of the Editorial Review Board of the "Journal of Business Research" and he was also member of the Editorial Board of the "International Journal of Information Management".
Professor Christos Tarantilis is Associate Editor of the "Networks Journal" (Wiley), member of the Editorial Board of the "Journal on Vehicle Routing Algorithms" (Springer) and member of the Editorial Board of the "Operational Research Journal" (Springer).
Professor Ioannis Nikolaou is a member of Journal of Business and Psychology, Personnel Assessment and Decisions, Journal of Personnel Psychology, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Employee Relations, Review of Work and Organizational Psychology-Revista de Psicología del Trabajo y las Organizaciones and was Editor in Chief of the "International Journal of Selection and Assessment".
Professor Nancy Pouloudi is a member of the Editorial Board of the "Information Technology for Development" Journal.
Associate Professor Manolis Kritikos has been chosen form the TARU publications in collaboration with Taylor & Francis publications at the position of Associate Editorfor the "TARU Journal of Organizational Behavior & Analytics" (TJOBA).
Professor George Doukidis has served as member of the Editorial Board of a number of journals, including "Journal of Strategic Information Systems", "Journal of Decision Systems", and "International Journal of Electronic Markets". He has also served as Guest Editor of various journals, including the "Journal of the Operational Research Society", the "European Journal of Information Systems", the "International Journal of Electronic Commerce", and the "Supply Chain Management: An International Journal".
Professor Diomidis Spinellis is on the Editorial Board of the journal "IEEE Software" and his book on Open Code has been translated to 7 languages (including English, Russian Chinese, Japanese, etc).
Professor Eric Klas Soderquist was until recently Editor-in-Chief of the journal "Cahiers du Management Technologique", and is currently Editor-in-Chief of the InnKnow Forum, published by AUEB's Management Science Laboratory.
Professor George Ioannou is member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Production Planning & Control".
Professor Nancy Pouloudi is Associate Editor of the "European Journal of Information Systems", and of "Information Technology and People", and member of various editorial Boards.
Professor Christos Tarantilis has been a Guest Editor (with Assoc. Professor Diomidis Spinellis) of the "IEEE Intelligent Systems" (special issue on Advanced Heuristics in Transportation and Logistics).
- Professional Distinctions
Professionally, Department faculty have achieved very high distinctions in both the public and the private sector:
- Professor Damianos Hatziantoniou was elected as an alternate member of the Hellenic Authority for Communication Security and Privacy (ADAE).
- Professor George Doukidis was one of the four leading Greek scientists selected for the Supreme Council of the Hellenic Authority for Higher Education (HAHE).
- Professor Spyros Lioukas was the Ambassador of Greece in the OECD.
- Professor Apostolos Refenes havs served as a full members of the Greek Competition Agency
- Professor Gregory Prastacos has served as Chairman (non-executive) of Deloitte & Touche Consulting (Greece)
- Professor George Doukidis has served as Chairman of Taneos, a well-known VC firm
Leadership in International Conferences
Department faculty have been very active in organizing, and/or participating in international conferences, presenting the state-of-the-art results of research. Indicatively:
- Professor Diomidis Spinellis was a member of the program committee of the 18th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR 2021), which took place online on 17-19 May 2021, participated in the panel "The future of the shell: Unix and beyond" of the workshop HotOS '21: Proceedings of the Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, which took place online 1-3 June 2021, he will be a member of the jury of the OOPSLA: Conference on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA 2021), to be held in October 2021 in Chicago, IL, USA, he will chair the organizing committee of the ACM Joint European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC / FSE) to be held in August 2021 in Athens, and he will be a member of the Program Council of the 44th IEEE / ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2022), to be held May 21-29, 2022 in Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Professor Damianos Chatziantoniou was Proceedings Chair at the 12th International Workshop on Real-Time Business Intelligence and Analytics (BIRTE 2018) in conjunction with the 44th International Conference in Very Large Databases (VLDB 2018).
- Professor George Doukidis was the Co-Chairman of the International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute (1999), and a keynote speaker of the International Conference of INFORMS (2005). He has also participated in the program or organizing committees of many other conferences, including the European Conference on Information Systems (1994, 1997), the International Electronic Commerce Conference (1998, 2001), and the International Conference on Information Systems (1995).
- Professor George Giaglis is the Permanent Secretary of the annual International Conference on Mobile Business, and a member of the organizing committees of many conferences on mobile business.
- Associate Professor Manolis Ktitikos was a member of the scientific committee of the 12th and 11th International Week Dedicated to Maths and the 35th and 34th Panhellenic Conference on Mathematical Education (2018 and 2017). He was also at the Scientific Committee of the MASSEE International Conference on Mathematics MICOM (2018) and a member of the organisational committee of the First (FCGM 2018) and Second Congress of Greek Mathematicians (SCGM 2022).
- Professor Georgios Lekakos has chaired the Big data and analytics session of the 18th IFIP Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society (2019), Track co-chair at the Big Data Analytics Ecosystems, Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (2017).
- Professor Ioannis Mourtos was member of the Scientific committee of the 20th Conference of the IFIP WG 8.3 on Decision Support (IFIP DS 2020) and the Seventeenth International Conference on the Integration of Constraint Programming, Artificial Intelligence, and Operations Research (CPAIOR 2020). Also he was a member of the Program Committee at the Sixteenth International Conference on the Integration of Constraint Programming, Artificial Intelligence, and Operations Research (CPAIOR 2019) and
- Professor Angeliki Poulimenakou was faculty facilitator at Doctoral and Junior Faculty Consortium of the Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (2018) and a member of the program committees of the important ICIS and ECIS conferences, and a member of the organizing committee of the IFIP conference (2003).
- Professor Nancy Pouloudi was Program Co-Chair in the 28th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2020), Conference Co-Chair at the Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS 2018 and 2017), faculty facilitator at the Doctoral and Junior Faculty Consortium of the Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (2018), has chaired the first European conference ETHICOMP (2004), as well as a number of international workshops or conference tracks.
- Professor Katerina Pramatri was Track chair for the Conference Theme Track “Bridging the Internet of People, Data, and Things” at the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2018).
- Professor Gregory Prastacos chaired an AUEB Conference on Innovation (2003), and has been member of the organizing committee of the International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute (1999), and of the European Conference LILIS (EC DG III) "Continuing Education in the Information Society" (1996).
- Professor Diomidis Spinellis has served on the program committees of many conferences, including the International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR), the ACM Joint European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE), the IEEE International Working Conference on Source Code Analysis and Manipulation (SCAM), the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), the 13rd International Conference on Open Source Software Systems (OSS 2017), the 1st International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM 2017), the International Workshop on Global Software Development for the Practitioner (2006), the conference Libre Software as a Matter of Research (2007), the Second International Workshop on Public Data about Software Development (2007), the Second Annual Workshop on Digital Forensics & Incident Analysis (2007), and many others.
- Professor Christos Tarantilis was a member of the scientific committee of the 13rd LION Learning and Intelligent OptimizatioN Conference (2019), of the 7th International Workshop on Freight Transportation and Logistics (ODYSSEUS 2018), of the 7th International Symposium and 29th National Conference on Operational Research (2018) and of the 6th International Symposium and 28th National Conference on Operational Research (fOSSS2017).
- Professor Adam Vrechopoulos has been a member of the scientific committee at the 10th and 9th International Conference on Contemporary Marketing Issues (ICCMI 2022, ICCMI 2021) and at the International Conference on Contemporary Marketing Issues (ICCMI 2019, 2018 and 2017). He was also Αssociate Editor for the General IS Topics track for the European Conference on Information Systems (2019).
- Student Distinctions
Students of the Department have also achieved numerous distinctions:
In the Greek list of "Forbes 30 under 30", among the most successful and influential young entrepreneurs under 30, the graduates of the DMST Department were named: Angelina Terlakis, co-founder of Red Dot Analytics, Spyros Michas, co-founder of Joule, Iria Katritsi, founder of Nature Above, Konstantinos Aretakis, Elena Korakianiti, Anna-Maria Petrou and Aphrodite-Nefeli Chronopoulou, creators of ViceAbroad and Petros Siachos and Errikos Tzimas, founders of Hobsido.
The first place in the hackathon with the theme "Artificial Intelligence and Green Cities" was won by the Green Minds team with Mr. Eleni Kakouri, postgraduate student of the DMST department, Vicky Anagnostopoulou, Learning Designer & PhD Researcher at the University of Salamanca, Konstantina Karkantzou, Finance Specialist, Paschalis Sarras, student of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens and Athanasios Chimonas, student of the department of Business Administration of the University of Thessaly. The team won the first place, with the idea "Bump it down" competing against 8 teams and won a study visit to Bristol in March 2024. The "Bump it down!" helps municipalities spot potholes using AI-based application. Potholes have a significant economic and environmental impact on local economies. In the EU alone, road repairs due to potholes are estimated to cost billions of euros per year. The "Bump it down" solution requires the installation of a camera in each local authority or municipality vehicle, GPS to locate the pothole, and internet access to communicate with our data center, where the data is processed by the artificial intelligence model. As a result, municipalities will see potholes identified on a live map so officials can prioritize their repair.
The first prize for Best New Idea, in the Category "Public, Administration, Self-Government and Justice" was awarded to the proposal "Implementation of Taking Judicial Decisions of the Court of First Instance of Athens" of the Agency of the Court of First Instance of Athens, Ministry of Justice, which was designed and developed entirely by the Department's PhD holder of Management Science and Technology Ilias Lymberopoulos, in the context of the "Digital Governance Awards".
The first place in the MindsDB Hackathon was won by the student of the Department of Management Science and Technology, Marios Aidini, with the compulsory project he prepared in the context of the course "Software technology in practice", taught by Professor Diomidis Spinellis. MindsDB is an open source software platform that enables the creation of AI applications without requiring special knowledge in AI software development. Now, MindsDB has turned into a startup valued at over $160M. The theme of the Hackathon was to contribute to MindsDB's software. Mr. Aidini's contribution was about interfacing machine learning algorithms with users' emails: Leveraging MindsDB's platform, a user can now, among other things, automatically reply to an email in the desired style, sort their emails into categories recognized by a machine learning algorithm, or to detect whether an email contains unwanted content (spam). Mr. Aidini won 1st prize, and received the $5000 prize, along with Indian developer and entrepreneur Rajeev R. Sharma, with whom he worked.
The 2nd and 3rd place in the National Final of the 9th Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition "JA Start Up" and the Pan-European Online Award "Market Expansion Award by EuroPen" were won by the student start-up companies of the Department of Management Science and Technology of AUEB. More specifically, the start-up company "Cup n Track" with Georgios Alexakis, Angeliki Boura, Ioanna-Sotiria Papadimouli, Elpida Christodoulea and Christos Psaradellis was awarded the second place in the National Final and the start-up company "Container Sense" won the third place. with Mr. Sokratis Anargyros Koumbardas, Sosipatros Metallinos and George Pazarlis. Also, the Pan-European Online Award "Market Expansion Award by EuroPen" was awarded to the start-up company "Seansor" with Mr. Georgia Georgakli, Evangelia Diamantopoulou, Maria Koumidou, Efthymia Papazisi and Maria Vasiliki Patsouraki.
The graduate of the Department Angelina Terlakis, Research Engineer at Nanyang Technological University, in Singapore was featured in the Forbes "30 Under 30 Asia 2023" list and in particular in the Asia Enterprise Technology Category with the spin-off company of Red Dot Analytics! Angelina, together with her team, qualified for the "Ja Start Up 2019" competition, with the digital concept "Safe Seas", which she developed in the Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship course, taught by Professor Georgios Doukidis. He then attended the MSc “Technopreneurship and Innovation” postgraduate study program at the renowned Nanyang Technology University.
The students of the Department Tasos Vemmos and Yiannis Verriopoulos successfully participated in the hackathon "AI for the Common Good co-created with Microsoft" organized by the British Council and won an educational trip to UCL in March 2023. Yannis's team emerged first with the idea of early detection of fires with Artificial Intelligence/ AI (Artificial Intelligence). Tasso's team was concerned with irrigation optimization, leveraging weather forecast data.
The second place in the AI Hackathon AI Hackathon "Stronger Together | Artificial Intelligence for the Common Good" was won by the students of the Department of Management Science and Technology Tassos Vemmos and Markos Loukas. Tasos Vemmos' team presented an idea to optimize irrigation by minimizing water wastage in agriculture using AI tools. The team of Markos Loukas presented an application that aims to solve the problem of parking in large urban centers.
The "Drug n Drop" team consisting of the student, Nikolaos Angelos Spyrellis and the student Alexandra Vassilaki of the Department of Management Science and Technology and the student of the Department of Pharmacy of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Ioannis Spyrellis, managed to be included in the Forbes 30 Under 30 list of of Greece for 2022, among the 30 most dynamic entrepreneurs of the year.
Three of the most important awards at the Pan-European Festival/Competition of Young Entrepreneurship Gen-E 2022 – JA Europe of Junior Achievement (JA) Europe were won by the students of the Department of Management Science and Technology. More specifically, the "Drug n Drop" team, with the students of the Department Nikolaos Angelos Spyrellis and Alexandra Vasilakis and the student of the Department of Pharmacy of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Ioannis Spyrellis won the Third Pan-European Prize as well and the GAM Investments Financial Sustainability & Growth Award. Also, Nikolaos Angelos Spyrellis won the Leadership Award for his performance as the manager of Drug n Drop in all the legs (national and international) of the competition.
Mrs. Constantina Zouni, an undergraduate student of the Department of Management Science and Technology, was honored with the distinction of "Open Library Fellow" for her contribution and excellent work ethic in the Open Library project of international scope. The Open Library project is developed by the nonprofit Internet Archive, the digital library that provides 35 million books and archives 682 billion web pages. Its aim is to publish books from all over the world, in order to make them available to the general public, while respecting the authors' copyright. The student Constantina Zouni contributed to the open source software project Open Library, in the context of the course "Software Engineering in Practice" taught by Professor Diomidis Spinellis, contributing to the further development of the popular platform trusted by millions of readers worldwide.
The first place in the National Student Competition for Innovation and Entrepreneurship "JA Start Up 2022" was won by the inter-university team "Drug n Drop" with the students of the Department of Management Science and Technology, Nikolaos Angelos Spyrellis and Alexandra Vasilakis and the student of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Ioannis Spyrellis.
Despina Markoulaki and Giannis Poulakis, fourth year students at the Department of Management Science and Technology and Skiadopoulos Alexandros, fourth year student at the Department of Economics, of the Athens University of Economics and Business, were distinguished in the 6th round of the Student Competition for CSR "Nikos Analytis".
The student team "Swim.me" was awarded at the National Awards for Young Entrepreneurs 2021 "Elevate Greece", at the 85th Thessaloniki International Fair.
The first place in the Pan-European Competition of Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship JA Europe Enterprise Challenge 2021 was won by the inter-university "start-up" team of the Athens University of Economics and Business - National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) "Swim.me" and its "smart" cap for visually impaired people. The team consists of the students of the Department of DMST (AUEB), Ourania Vlachou and Ifigenia Vasilaki, the student of the Department of Department of Business Adimistration (AUEB) Anastasios Karamoutsos and the students of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (NTUA), Evangelos Georgakilas, Panagiota Dedousi and Dimitrios Lambros.
The inter-university team AUEB - National Technical University of Athens "Swim.me" and the DMST team "FireProov", in the online Competition of Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship "JA Start Up 2021" of Junior Achievement Greece, held on Friday, May 28, 2021, competed with the 10 best Greek students "start up", was evaluated by specialized executives of technology, innovation and entrepreneurship and won 2 awards. Specifically, the first place was won by the interdisciplinary team "Swim.me" with the students of DMST, Ourania Vlachou and Ifigenia Vasilaki, student of the Department of Business Adimistration Anastasios Karamoutsos and the students of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Evangelos Georgakilas, Panagiota Dedousi and Dimitrios Lambros. The second place award was given to the student team of DMST "FireProov", with Adamantios Avrantinis, Stavros Vasilaros, George Kokorogiannis and Anna Maria Mersinoglou.
The undergraduate student Leon Gavalas and the PhD student and postdoctoral researcher at the Lero Software Research Laboratory of the National University of Ireland Galway, Anastasia Griva co-founders of Bespot, the graduate of the undergraduate program Yannis Imelos, co-founder of CollegeLink, the undergraduate student Stelios Iliakis, co-founder of Sleed and member of the Advisory Committee of the Department and partner of Uni.Fund, are included in the list of 40 Under 40 2021 compiled by Fortune Greece for young Greek entrepreneurs under 40 from different sectors of the economy that innovate and stand out in the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the country and abroad.
The publication of Associate Professor Georgios Lekakos and postdoctoral researcher of the Department Maria Boura, in the prestigious scientific journal of international prestige (ABS 4) British Journal of Management, emerged as a "Top Cited Article" (article with the most citations) for the period 2019- 2020, by Wiley Publishing. The popular paper, entitled "Big Data Analytics Capabilities and Innovation: The Mediating Role of Dynamic Capabilities and Moderating Effect of the Environment" was prepared in collaboration with Associate Professor Patrick Mikalef and Professor and Head of the Computer Science Department at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), John Krogstie.
The publication of the PhD candidate of the Department, Theodoros Sotiropoulos, which was prepared in collaboration with the supervising Professor Diomidis Spinellis and the researchers of the Laboratory of Business Analytics Stefanos Chaliasos, Vangelis Atlidakis and Dimitris Mitropoulos was awarded the Distinguished Artifact Award at the leading International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2021). The award-winning publication, entitled "Data-Oriented Differential Testing of Object-Relational Mapping Systems", is an innovative method for finding errors in systems that allow easy interconnection of information systems with databases.
The 2020 McKinsey Women Achievement Award was given to Maria Slamari, a fourth-year student at the Department. The consulting firm McKinsey & Company, in the context of the company's broader strategy for Diversity, has established the McKinsey Women Achievement Award, the purpose of which is to reward a woman who is either a student or has gained professional experience with less than 5 years of service and has been distinguished for her academic or professional volunteer career.
The students of our Department Slamari Maria, Evangelia Pantazopoulou, Alexandra Stathopoulou and Eleni-Stamatina Tzerefou, under the guidance of Associate Professor Ioannis Nikolaou, won 2nd place in the global competition HR Case Study organized by the Purdue University.
The digital business ideas of Dr.IV, MamaBear and Crowdy teams, by students of the Department, were awarded in the Virtual & Live Student Competition JA Start Up 2020, winning the first three places, with 8 teams advancing to the Final. The 1st Prize was awarded, by the Minister of Digital Government Kyriakos Pierrakakis, to the team of Dr. IV and Vougias Ioannis, Georgouli Christianna and Faros Antonis, the 2nd Prize was awarded, by the Deputy Minister of Education and Religions Vassilis Digalakis, to the MamaBear team with Kakoulaki Marina, Babetas Konstantinos, Spertou Chrysi and Tegou Stefania Maria and the 3rd prize was awarded by the US Ambassador in Greece Geoffrey Pyatt, in the Crowdy team with Andriopoulou Maria, Koutsothanasi Hariklia, Moschou Sofia and Chorianopoulou Aikaterini. Also the UniverCity team with Georgios Markou, Nikolaos Moatsos and Nikolaos-Angelos Spirellis created an application, which won the Online Voting Challenge.
The protection of personal data acquires a new ally with the PDGuard software created by researchers from the Business Analytics Laboratory (BALab) of the Department. Dr. Dimitris Mitropoulos, Thodoris Sotiropoulos, Nikos Koutsavasilis and Professor Diomidis Spinellis, in a recent study published in the prestigious International Journal of Information Security in September 2019, presented the new software, which has already been successfully implemented in two case studies.
George Karavas, student of the Department, with his team MINPLUS, won the first place in the category Most Valuable project (MVP) of the annual Youth Innovation Competition on Global Governance (YICGG), which took place in Jakarta, Indonesia, with the co-financing of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP). In this year's competition, with the theme: "Back to the Ocean: Sustainable Development in a Shared Future", the Greek student and the rest of his team, Anna Branets (Ukraine) , Lê Na (Vietnam), Nazahath Ahmed (Maldives), Filip Lariu (Romania), Radhe Ayu (Indonesia) and Wei Jun S. Chan (Singapore) were awarded for their idea MINPLUS, a social enterprise on plastic upcycling involving social groups in developing countries.
The prize of the second place in the "Student Research Competition" was awarded to the undergraduate student of the Department, Michalis Loukeris, for his work "Efficient Computing in a Safe Environment", which was prepared under the supervision of the doctoral candidate of the Department Stefanos Georgiou. The distinction was made during the 27th ACM Joint Meeting on European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE) , in Tallinn. The award-winning work deals with the improvement of computing and energy efficiency that can be achieved by operating computing infrastructures in a safe environment from malicious attacks.
Bloode (bloode.org), the first digital community of volunteer donors created by our graduates Natalia Kritsali, Alexandros Sotiropoulos and Panagiotis Sfikas, is on the Greek Forbes list "30 under 30". The selection was made from among 100 initial nominations received by "Forbes" either through applications of the interested parties themselves, or through proposals from institutions and relevant bodies.
The Innovation Award and the Second Place in the 5th Panhellenic Student Competition of Innovation and Entrepreneurship "JA Start Up 2019", of the Youth Entrepreneurship Association / Junior Achievement Greece, was won by the Sign Me Up team, which consists of Vgontza Giorgos, Dourou Elena, Evdokia and Chalkidou Ada, students of the Department.
The Shopmind team, whose founders are the PhD candidates Anastasia Griva and Vassilis Stavrou, won the 1st prize of the "IgniteIdeas" program, an initiative of Nestlé Hellas aimed at empowering start-ups and innovative start-ups the activity of the company that was implemented for the first time with the support of the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Support Center (ACEin) of the Athens University of Economics and Business.
The students of the CargOps team V. Georgopoulos, N. Doureliadis, P. Kazantzis and E. Potamianos, for the proposal of a freight monitoring service during the transport using IoT technologies, received the 2nd prize in the 8th Business Idea Competition, organized by the Unit Of Innovation and Entrepreneurship of the Athens University of Economics and Business in November 2018.
The CargOps team participated in the StartupNow Forum, a conference on entrepreneurship, innovation and technology through which it got in touch with other startups, investors and entrepreneurs, thus expanding the existing networking circle with new possible collaborations. As part of the forum, a competition was held between the startups to highlight the three best business ideas, with CargOps receiving the 1st prize in the "Innovation Idea" category.
The NIRMA (Near Infrared Radiation Moisture Analyzer) team won the 1st place in the NASA Space Apps Challenge Piraeus competition, organized as part of the NASA Space Apps Challenge International Space Competition, the world's largest hackathon for young people to create innovative solutions to the challenges posed by NASA each year. The student of the Department Victoria Kafkia and Georgia Christodoulou (School of Applied Mathematics & Natural Sciences NTUA), Elias Psyroukis (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering NTUA) and Elias Theodoridis (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering) of Mars ", with the design of a water detector and ground sampling device on the surface of the planet Mars. The N.I.R.M.A. can be attached to the end of an arm of a rover or a flying boat, and using an ultraviolet camera system to pinpoint areas where there is water. Then, from a safe distance and using a fully sterile mechanism, he will be able to collect a sample of the soil surface and water. The goal is for the same instrument with high resolution spectrometry to be able to detect minerals and possible hydrothermal change.
For the second consecutive year, students of our Department M. Andrianou, An. Tsagari, I. Kouroupaki and Z. Kotti, won the first place in the KPMG "Ace the Case" competition, which took place in May. The Ace the Case program, which includes a seminar and a competition, aims to develop and enhance students' skills in creating and analyzing business plans, time management, teamwork, communication and presentation techniques, and creative thinking.
With the distinction "Best Data Showcase Award" of the scientific conference "MSR '18: 15th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories", the researchers of the Business Analytics Laboratory of the Department, Mr. Antonis Gortzis and Mr. Dimitris Mitropoulos were honored, with the supervision of the Professor Diomidis Spinellis, for their work entitled "VulinOSS: A dataset of security vulnerabilities in open-source systems" which had as research object the data set for empirical research in software security.
The first prize in the Student Competition of Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship "JA Start Up 2017" of the Youth Entrepreneurship Association / Junior Achievement Greece, in collaboration with MetLife, was won by the team "ParkAllou" consisting of: Anna-Emmanuela Tsimplagaki, Panagi Alexandros Pantazopoulos and Eleftherios Patriki, students of the Department.
The students of the Department Efthymis Psaraftis, Gerasimos Tzakis and Katerina Dimopoulou, having qualified as a team among 40 groups consisting of undergraduate and postgraduate students, participated in the Ace the Case competition held by KPMG and won first place.
Lefteris Arapakis, student of the Department, won the first prize in Greece for the Global Student Entrepreneurs Awards (GSEA) student competition organized by the Entrepreneurs' Organization.
The students of the Department of Management Science & Technology Georgios Gravanis (postgraduate), Dimitrios Malamas, Panagiotis Exarchakos and Manolis Hadjidavid (undergraduates), won the 9th place in the global competition Student Supply Community of Supply Chain Community (2018).
Anastasia Griva, Cleopatra Bardaki and Katerina Pramatari, members of the ELTRUN Research Laboratory of the Department of Management Science and Technology, were awarded the "BEST PAPER AWARD" for their article "Customer Visit Segmentation Using Market Basket Data" at the International Symposium of IFIP and AIS "Special Interest Group on Decision Support and Analytics (SIGDSA) / IFIP WG8.3 Symposium" with title "Innovations in Data Analysis", held in Dublin on 11 December 2016.
In the framework of the Morpheus Cup Pan-European Competition held in Luxembourg on May 19-20, 2015, the group of students of the Department of Management Science and Technology, composed of Stavros Lounis, Leon Gavalas and Fotini Karinotaki - Taliani, won the distinction "Best European Students Project" in the "Environment Challenge" category with their proposal Gamifico SEP (Sustainability Engagement Platform).
The paper "A Sensing Approach to Tablet Users' Accommodating Practices" by E. Zamani, G. Giaglis and N. Pouloudi received the Best Paper Award at the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2013), held in Milan of Italy from 15 to 18 December 2013.
The paper "Analysis of Social Network Dynamics with Models from the Theory of Complex Adaptive Systems" by Elias Lymperopoulos and George Lekakos received the Best Paper Awards at the 12th IFIP Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society, I3E 2013.
The paper Countering code injection attacks: A unified approach. (Information Management and Computer Security, 19(3):177-194, 2011) co-authored by PhD students Dimitrios Mitropoulos and Vassilios Karakoidas was awarded by Emerald publishers with the "Highly Commended Paper" distinction. The award was given by the journal's editorial board to three papers as part of the "Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012".
PhD student Maria Kechagia was awarded the Barclays capital prize for best competition entry by a female contestant, in the 2011 Algorithmic Trading Competition, organised by UCL UK. Member of the winning team was, also, the PhD student Conrad Felix Michel Landis, and supervisor Dr. Skouras, both from the department of International and European Economic Studies, Athens University of Economics and Business.
The paper A PRoactive Malware Identification System based on the Computer Hygiene Principles (Information Management and Computer Security, 15(4):295-312, 2007) co-authored by PhD student Vasileios Vlachos was awarded by Emerald publishers with the "Highly Commended Paper" distinction. The award was given by the journal's editorial board to three papers as part of the "Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2008".
PhD Student Vasilis Koutsiouris won the best-paper award for his paper entitled «Bioclimatic Architecture: Mapping the currency of the Green Economy» at the 5th Student Conference of Management Science & Technology, 8 May 2008.
The group AIBO robots of the Department, AUEBo, was chosen to participate, in collaboration with the group of the Technical University of Crete, Kourites, in the championship 2008 Aibo League. Members of the group are Kimon Fountoylakis, student of the Department and Christos Lazaris, technical assistant of ELOI. Scientific coordinator is Associate Professor of the Department Diomidis Spinellis.
PhD Student Angeliki Karagiannaki won the best-paper award (and cash prize 1000 €) for her paper titled: "The impact of RFID in different types of packaging to streamline procedures for storage" at the 1st Panhellenic Packaging Food and Drink Conference, 17-18 March 2008.
PhD Student Aris Theotokis was chosen to participate in the PhD Consortium of EMAC 2008 (European Marketing Conference) with the paper: "The moderating role of customer-technology contact on consumer attitude towards technology-based services".
The paper of PhD students Kostas Kostopoulos, Dimitris Brachos, Sofia Philippidou, Alex Papalexandris, jointly with Professor Gregory Prastacos "Organizational Unit ACAP: Social Context And Performance Outcomes" was accepted as one of the Best Papers of the Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2007, and was published in the Conference Proceedings.
The paper of PhD students Ioannis Katsikis and Lida Kyrgidou "The Concept of Sustainable Entrepreneurship: A Conceptual Framework and Empirical Analysis", was accepted as one of the Best Papers of the Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2007, and was published in the Conference Proceedings.
PhD Student C. Bardaki and Dr. K. Pramatari attended the 12th MIT International Conference on Information Quality, the most prominent event to exchange Information Quality knowledge and ideas, with a paper titled: Assessing Information Quality in a RFID-Integrated Shelf Replenishment Decision Support System for the Retail Industry. The conference will be held at MIT in Boston on November 9-11, 2007.
PhD Student Christos Tsanos was selected to participate in the Doctoral Symposium organized within the framework of the annual conference of the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals, in Philadelphia, USA, October 2007.
PhD Student Lefteris Kioses, with the thesis «The impact on company performance of Electronic Supply Chain Collaboration», was selected to participate in the Doctoral Consortium conference ECIS 2007 (15th European Conference on Information Systems), in St. Gallen, Switzerland June 2007.
PhD Student Theotokis Aristides won the first European prize in the student competition for the best paper in the retail sector entitled: "Value creation through in-store retail services: involving innovative customers in new service design". The prize was nominated in Milan by the CEO of Unilever in May 2007.
PhD Student John Katsikis was chosen to participate in the European PhD School DIMETIC organized by the Network for Excellence «DIME» (Dynamics of Institutions and Markets in Europe), in which participate leading research institutes in Europe as the SPRU, UNU-MERIT, BETA-ULP.
- Doctoral Placements
Graduates of the Doctoral Program of the Department get excellent placements in the academic market. An indicative list of graduates who got their PhD from the Department of Management Science and Technology in the period 2002-2022 follows:
- Theodoros Sotiropoulos (PhD 2022) is a Postdoctoral researcher at Athens University of Economics and Business
- Emmanouil Sofikitis (PhD 2022) is a Researcher at the Laboratory of Management, Strategy and Entrepreneurship of Athens University of Economics and Business of & Training Manager at ACEin
- Dimitrios Makris (PhD 2022) is a faculty member at Deree - the American College of Greece
- Stefanos Georgiou (PhD 2021) is a PostDoctoral Researcher at the Software Evolution and Analytics Lab (SEAL) of Queen's University in Kingston
- Ioanna Talanti (PhD 2020) is a Post-doc researcher at IST Lab of AUEB
- Maria Pateraki (PhD 2020) is an Adjunct Lecturer at University of Nicosia
- Thanos Goltsos (PhD 2020) is a Lecturer in Management Science, The PARC Assistant Professor of Manufacturing and Logistics at Cardiff University
- Benioudakis Myron (PhD 2020) is Adjunct Faculty and Postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Mechanical Engineering (DME) of University of Thessaly
- Vasileios Stavrou (PhD 2019) is Senior Researcher at ELTRUN, AUEB
- Anastasia Griva (PhD 2019) ia a Lecturer at the National University of Ireland Galway
- Tushar Sharma (PhD 2019) is an Assistant Professor at Dalhousie University, Canada
- Christos Lazaris (PhD 2019) is Laboratory Teaching Faculty at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Maria Boura (PhD 2017) is an Assistant Professor of Knowledge and Innovation Management at University of Peloponesse
- Maria Kechagia (PhD 2017) is a Research Fellow at the CREST research centre, and a member of the SOLAR research group, of the Department of Computer Science at University College London (UCL)
- Dimitrios Pournarakis (PhD 2017) is a Adjunct Lecturer at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Marios Fragkoulis (PhD 2017) is a Postdoctoral researcher at Delft University of Technology
- Pantelis Lappas (PhD 2017) is an Assistant Professor of Operations Research and Stochastic Models at University of the Aegean
- Stavros Lounis (PhD 2017) is a Senior Researcher, ELTRUN E-Business Research Center, Department of Management Science and Technology, Athens University of Economics and Business
- Vasia Agapitou (PhD 2016) is a Lecturer at BCA College
- Ariana Polyviou (PhD 2016) is an Assistant Professor at School of Business, Department of Management and MIS of the University of Nicosia
- Christos Tsanos (PhD 2016) is a Research Associate and Teaching Fellow at the Department of Marketing and Communication of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Panagiotis Sarantopoulos (PhD 2016) is a Lecturer in Marketing at University of Manchester's Alliance Manchester Business School
- Konstantina Georgiou (PhD 2016) is an Assistant Professor of Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior at the Department of Marketing and Communication of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Amalia Nikolopoulou (PhD 2016) is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Management Science and Technology, AUEB
- Michalis Papazoglou (PhD 2016) is a Postdoctoral Researcher at Athens University of Economics and Business
- Eleni Zampou (PhD 2016) is a Research Affiliate at Athens University of Economics and Business
- Dimitrios Zissis (PhD 2015) is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business. Before, he was a Lecturer in Operations Management at Norwich Business School
- Erifili Chatzopoulou (PhD 2014) is a Postdoctoral Researcher at Athens Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Dimitrios Mitropoulos (PhD 2014) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Business Administration at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Efpraxia Zamani (PhD 2014) is a Senior Lecturer in Information Systems at the Information School of the the University of Sheffield
- Maria Fotaki (PhD 2014) is a visiting Lecturer at IE School of Human Sciences and Technology (HST) & Adjunct Lecturer at AUEB and at Hellenic Open University
- Katerina Fraidaki (PhD 2014) is a visiting Professor at the International Hellenic University
- Chryssa Markopoulou (2014) is a Postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Sofia Chatzi (PhD 2013) is an Adjunct Academic Staff Member in Athens University of Economics and Business and in the Hellenic Open University
- Panagiota Sapouna (PhD 2013) is Adjunct Lecturer and Research Fellow of the Athens University of Economics and Business
- Ioannis Krasonikolakis (PhD 2013) is a Senior Lecturer in Digital Marketing at Kent Business School
- Athanasios Andrikopoulos (PhD 2013) is a Lecturer in Finance and Programm Director BSc Financial Management at University of Hull
- Andriana Dimakopoulou (PhD 2013) is a Postdoctoral Researcher in ELTRUN, Athens University of Economics and Business
- Foteini Stavropoulou (PhD 2012) is a Senior Lecturer in Operations & Supply Chain Management at Liverpool Business School of Liverpool John Moores University
- Cleopatra Bardaki (PhD 2012) is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Informatics and Telematics of Harokopio University
- Argiro Nikiforou (PhD 2012) is an Assistant Professor at the Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship, Technical University of Denmark
- Georgios Papagiannakis (PhD 2011) is an Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurship & Sustainability at the University of Peloponnese
- Angeliki Karagiannaki (PhD 2011) is a research officer at ELTRUN, Athens University of Economics and Business
- Dimitrios Paraskevopoulos (PhD 2011) is a Reader in Operations and Supply Chain Management at Bayes Business School. Before, he was a Senior Lecturer (Associate Prof) in Operations and Supply Chain Management, School of Management, University of Bath, UK
- Evaggelos Sirigos (PhD 2011) is an Assistant professor of Strategy, Luiss Guido Carli Free International University of Social Studies
- Elpida Prasopoulou (PhD 2010) is an Operations Manager at the Institute for Creative Cultures, Coventry University
- Pavlos Eirinakis (PhD 2010) is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Industrial Management & Technology of the University of Piraeus
- Nikolaos Vlastakis (PhD 2010) is an Associate Professor in Finance at University of East Anglia. In the past he has held a lectureship at Cranfield University.
- Apostolos Kourtis (PhD 2010) is an Associate Professor in Finance, Norwich Business School, University of East Anglia and Adjunct Instructor in Decentralized Finance, MSc Digital Currency, University of Nicosia
- Maria Tomprou (PhD 2009) is an Research Scientist (Senior Research Fellow) at Carnegie Mellon University & Adjunct Professor of Organizational Behavior and Theory at Carnegie Mellon University - Tepper School of Business
- Ioanna Deligianni (PhD 2009) is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Georgios Gousios (PhD 2009) is an Associate Professor of software engineering at the Software Engineering Research Group group at Delft University of Technology
- Aristeidis Theotokis (PhD 2009) is an Associate Professor of Marketing and Director of Internationalization at Leeds University Business School
- Georgios Zobolas (PhD 2009) is an Adjunct Lecturer at Hellenic Open University
- Panagiotis Repoussis (PhD 2008) is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Marketing and Communication, School of Business at Athens University of Economics and Business and a visiting Assistant Professor at the School of Business at Stevens Institute of Technology
- George Daskalakis (PhD 2008) is an Associate Professor in Finance at the Prince Mohammed Bin Salman College (MBSC) of Business and Entrepreneurship & Academic Program Director of the Masters in Finance (MiF)
- Konstantinos Fouskas (PhD 2008) is an Assistant Professor of Technological Innovation and Digital Entrepreneurship, Department Of Applied Informatics, University of Macedonia
- Lida Kyrgidou (PhD 2008) is an Adjunct Faculty at the Department of Informatics, Aristotle University of Macedonia
- Vasileios Zeimpekis (PhD 2008) is an Assistant Professor, School of Engineering, Department of Financial and Management Engineering, University of the Aegean
- Vassiliki Makropoulou (PhD 2007) was an Assistant Professor of Finance & Financial Markets, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Dimitrios Drossos (PhD 2007) is Assistant Professor at the Department of Marketing & Communication of the Athens University of Economics and Business
- Michail Madas (PhD 2007) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Applied Informatics of University of Macedonia
- Vasileios Vlachos (PhD 2007) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Economics at the University of Thessaly
- Alexandros Papalexandris (PhD 2007) is an Associate Professor of Management at the Department of Business Administration of the Athens University of Economics and Business
- Konstantinos Kostopoulos (PhD 2007) is an Associate Professor of Corporate Strategy at University of Piraeus
- Afroditi Dalakoura (PhD 2007) is a lecturer in HRM at Glasgow School for Business and Society of the Glasgow Caledonian University
- Athanasios Nikas (PhD 2007) is a Researcher at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business. Before, he was a Honorary Lecturer in the University of Liverpool
- George Dotsis (PhD 2006) is an Associate Professor in Finance at the Department of Economics of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Panagiotis Kourouthanasis (PhD 2006) is a Professor at the Department of Informatics of Ionian University
- Dimitrios Papakiriakopoulos (PhD 2006) is a Lecturer at the Business Administration Department of University Of West Attica
- Ada Pateli (PhD 2006) is a Professor of Information Systems at the Department of Informatics of the Ionian University
- Dimitris Psychoyios (PhD 2006) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Industrial Management and Technology of the University of Pireaus. Before, he was Lecturer in the Department of Accounting & Finance, Manchester Business School, UK
- Pavlos Vlachos (PhD 2006) is an Associate Professor of Marketing at ALBA Graduate Business School, The American College of Greece.
- Maria Mavri (PhD 2005) is a Professor of Quantitative Methods at the Department of Business Administration of University of the Aegean
- Georgia Skintzi (PhD 2005) is a Researcher at the Centre of Planning and Economic Research (KEPE)
- Kostas Chorianopoulos (PhD 2004) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Informatics of the Ionian University. Before this appointment, he was Marie Currie Fellow at Bauhaus University and Research Fellow at Imperial College, UK
- George Lekakos (PhD 2004) is a Professor at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business. Before his appointment he was Assistant Professor at Aegean University (Dept of Information and Communication Systems), Lecturer at the University of Cyprus, and a Research Fellow at Tampere University, Finland
- Miltiadis Lytras (PhD 2004) is a Research Faculty member at the American College of Greece
- Konstantinos Samiotis (PhD 2004) is an Academic Director of Online Programs of Alba Graduate Business School
- Vassiliki Skintzi (PhD 2004) is an Assistant Professor in the Economics Department of the University of Peloponnese
- Panagiotis Zaharias (PhD 2004) was an Adjunct Professor at the Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus
- Leda Vassalou (PhD 2004) is a Lecturer - Researcher at the Hellenic Open University
- Kostas Androutsopoulos (PhD 2003) is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Ioanna Constantiou (PhD 2003) is a Professor, Department of Digitalization, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- Katerina Pramatari (PhD 2003) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Management Science and Technology of Athens University of Economics and Business
- Eleni Salavou (PhD 2002) is a Associate Professor of Business Administration at the Athens University of Economics and Business. Prior to this position, she was on the Adjunct Faculty of AUEB and of the Agricultural University of Athens