The ISFM Research Lab
The Laboratory for International Shipping, Finance and Management of the Athens University of Economics and Business (ISFM Lab) is a world-class research laboratory, dedicated to performing theoretical and applied research in the key areas of shipping, finance and management. It also supports the MSc in ISFM students for their laboratory classes, assignments and Master's Theses.
The mission of the ISFM LAB is to:
- Conduct forefront research on topics related to:
Shipping markets (freight, newbuilding, sale and purchase, demolition, bunker, energy and other markets); Maritime and Port Economics; Shipping Freight Derivatives and Risk Management; Investments and Financial Management; Alternative Sources of Ship Financing; Shipbuilding Finance; Debt Financing; Public and Private Equity markets; Structured Finance; Maritime investment appraisal and budgeting; Financial analysis and modelling of Shipping Investments; Corporate Governance and other topics related to Finance and Management in Shipping and other sectors of the economy;
- Enhance collaboration with other Research Centres and Academic Institutions worldwide, within a frame of solidarity and mutual trust, with similar or complementary scientific objectives;
- Collaborate with various public and private organisations, to address potential challenges in related fields;
- Develop educational, research-based and other similar activities in accordance with the general principles and Research Code of the University;
- Organise and host conferences, seminars, talks, etc., and publicise the scientific results produced.
- Undertake projects and consultancy work related to shipping, finance or management.
Doctoral research is also supported, as well as applied research projects funded by international or national organizations and private companies, while collaboration with national and international research partners is highly sought out.
Research conducted by members of the ISFM Lab is published in high quality international scientific journals and presented in international conferences, while more applied work conducted supports the industry providing solutions to challenges faced in the modern economic environment of the 21st century.
The ISFM Lab is located on the new state-of-the-art premises of the Athens University of Economics and Business, inaugurated in May 2017 by the President of the Hellenic Republic. It is equipped with thirty (30) workstations of the latest technology and software of the latest versions, such as Matlab, R, STATA, EViews, SPSS and Microsoft Office.
Access to the following databases is possible through the Lab: Bloomberg, Eikon by Thomson Reuters, Clarksons SIN and Lloyds List, among others.
Educational seminars and workshops on the use of software and databases are also scheduled on a regular basis.